Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Piers Morgan Refutes Hacking Allegations On The Situation Room

Piers Morgan has hit back at claims he hacked phones while working as a newspaper editor in the UK, after he was named twice by a British politician during the Parliamentary hearings into the scandal yesterday.

MP Louise Mensch claimed that Morgan had bragged in his book, 'The Insider', about winning "scoop of the year" for a story he only gained knowledge of after hacking phones. Morgan responded to the allegations by saying:

"Well, I'm amused by her cowardice in refusing to repeat that allegation now she's not in Parliament and covered by privilege.

As she may be already aware, she came out with an absolute blatant lie during those proceedings. At no stage in my book or indeed outside of my book have I ever boasted of using phone hacking for any stories.

For the record, in my time at "The Mirror" and the "News of the World," I have never hacked a phone, told anybody to hack a phone or published any story based on the hacking of a phone.

And what she did today was a deliberate, in my view, and outrageous attempt to smear my name, CNN's name, "The Daily Mirror's" name. And I think her now to have the breathtaking gall to just sit here calmly and say, I can't possibly repeat that cause I haven't got privilege, is an outrage."


Morgan went head to head with his accuser on The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer. Watch the exchange in the video below.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home